I had committed to go to Chandigarh for an open house/outreach project for college this weekend. I had been excited about it for weeks. Little did I know that so many exciting events would come up on the same weekend. Since I had committed, got to travel, and that too for free, I couldn’t cancel. Ended up missing the following fun events:
- Tasleema Nasreen, Nandita Das and Urvashi Butalia at Gymkhana Club on 13th Feb – On Thursday when I went to the club, I saw that on Saturday there was going to be this talk for women’s empowerment or something. I had been dreaming about meeting Nandita Das ever since I watched “Fire” (the first lesbian movie in India). Seeing her name there, and realizing that I had to go to a different city and couldn’t see her, I almost cried. Tasleema needs no introduction. I am ever excited to meet anyone who has been banned from any country. I have already attended a talk by Urvashi Butalia since she’s been teaching the YIF at my college.
- World Condoms day– this Sunday I had the opportunity to distribute free condoms at CP and give random people little education about gender and sexuality issues. A friend who I had talked about in my post “meeting like minded people” had invited me for it.
- Farhan Akhtar’s Concert– missed the UA concert, and the opportunity to see Farhan Akhtar live. I really enjoy his music and his movies!
- LSR fest after party– There was someone who I had seen at the LSR fest and wanted to desperately meet. This after party was probably my only chance to meet her, and I missed it as well!
- Students for a free for Tibet concert– This was a free concert where my college band and Parikrama were performing. Meeting activists would’ve been interesting and fun.
I got really sick during the Chandigarh trip, so couldn’t go out much to enjoy then. Who knows if I were at home the same would’ve happened and I wouldn’t have even been able to enjoy these outings?